What are traditional investments?
- Equities (stocks)
- Fixed-income (bonds)
- Money markets (e.g. bank deposits)
What are alternative (non-traditional) investments?
- Private Equity
- Venture Capital
- Infrastructure (highways, airports, utilities, etc)
- Real Estate (retail, office, residential, etc)
- Managed Futures
- Hedge funds
Investors are shifting towards alternative investments
- To benefit from the diversification and enhanced return
- Top 10 Canadian pensions have a 32% allocation ($320B+) to alternatives